Tuesday, December 06, 2005

A Honda Holiday

Last night I spent a couple difficult hours watching the Philadelphia Eagles get literally spanked by the Seattle Seahawks. During this time I was bombarded by commercials, most of which I endure with a smirk and a chuckle. But all of a sudden my comatose TVonic state was disrupted by these words. "We wish you a Happy Holiday. We wish you a Happy Holiday. We wish you a Happy Holiday and a Happy New Year". I was shocked. When had this 'New Living Translation' of this song been created?

On a Christian radio station this morning I heard 2 women in Iraq detonated bombs killing 27 in a police training facility. The following story was about a woman who is out to get Christmas back into our public language. Can you guess which story got more airtime and interviews?

I've been hearing a lot about the shift in language used around this Holiday season, but for the first time it began to cause a stir in me. However it was an odd stirring. I was not upset, annoyed or even frustrated. I was somewhat relieved. Now don't get me wrong, back in the day when I rocked a Bush/Quayle 88 T-shirt, I was quick to hop on the "Let's keep the 'Christ' in Xmas bandwagon. Yet today, I feel we are moving towards separating consumerism from faith.

My opinion is this. Christians have been blessed by many years of our holiday's getting the best spotlight. So much so that we now think it's our right to have our worldview broadcast to everyone else. Isn't it time to de-consumerize our most sacred of holidays with this change in language? Shouldn't we concerning ourselves with bigger issues than losing a phrase which not all of our public validates?

We all need to be a little less self-centered and think about the central aspects of faith and life. Personally I am looking forward to the day when I am greeted with a 'Merry Christmas' and my mind slips to Jesus first and Santa second.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The older I get, the less tolerance I have for the politically correctness movement. The irony of shows such as "Politically Incorrect" are that they end up being what they claim not to be.

When someone at a store wishes me "Happy Holidays", I will look right back at them and say, "Yes, Merry Christmas to you too...". (I suppose the poor clerks are caught in the middle, so I don't supposed as to be rude or anything.)

Last year, I found an interesting list called the Grinch List. It contains the retailers who don't want to offend anyone (except Christians, of course) by eliminating any mention of Christmas. The list is here:
http://grinchlist.com/2003/grinchlist03.htm#list

Happy Holidays!!

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Lukas McKnight said...

I'm with you Jay; I'm more annoyed by the people fighting to say Merry Christmas (Bill O'Reilly) than I am the PC idea of saying Happy Holidays. After all, it is a season of multiple holidays and we are a country of multiple religions; I think it is respectful...good stuff. I may post more tomorrow.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger jay baehr said...

Street...
Interesting site. I think the reason we are catching the back hand of PCness is because we have been on the top for so long. Now the powers that be feel the need to push the bar a bit too far across our lines in order to make up for the past. I too feel bad for the clerks.

Lukas...
I was thinking about it last night and I realized one point I am making is I hope Retail stores tap into the other Holidays around this season and not just ours. Use and Abuse us all equally. Opps.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lukas,

I see your point. Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of it. It's just sad to lesson the sentiments as to eliminate Christ from his own Birthday celebration. But you're right. It is a season of multiple holidays and a mixed religious culture to be sure.

From now on, I'm going to stick with Festivus wishes.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Lukas McKnight said...

Streetwise-

I totally understand your sentiments with losing Jesus in the holidays, but I think Jay brings up an great hopeful idea; maybe in the future we'll (the country) think of Jesus on Christmas rather than Santa Claus. Maybe Santa can represent the gifts, but maybe it'd be better separate. That's wishful thinking, I know...

Jay-

I think the stores, especially now, target Christmas shoppers since they're the majority. If/when the Muslim community continues to grow, maybe we'll see a shift. The other thought is those without faith have adopted the Christmas holiday with many of them being of Christian background (and all of them enjoy getting gifts!). It's now such a part of culture that it will be hard to separate until there's a huge chunk (% wise) that does not celebrate Christmas. Just a few thoughts.

Oh, and Streetwise, Festivus is over- see the earlier posts this week!

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude--

I don't know about the "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holiday" distinction, I'm just glad that Seattle kicked Philadelphia's butts.

BJB

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger jay baehr said...

Mr. Anonymous...
I am very disappointed in your support of Seattle Seahawks. Very disappointed.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger theultrarev said...

I was initially shocked and annoyed by the very same adds as you. But my wife said the commercial said, "We wish you a Happy Honda-Day ..." I'll have to watch for the commercial again.

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog hit me squarely between the eyes. Wow.

http://vanguardchurch.blogspot.com/2005/12/james-dobson-misses-point-again.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home