Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Guzzling Resources

About a month ago I drove my gas guzzling Chevy Silverado over to the LCD (Lake County Deli) for its bi-monthly fill-up. It had been riding the E for a couple days and I knew if it I didn’t fill it up now I would find myself stuck on some country road between a mean Black Lab and a meaner Australian Shepard, I decided to fill it up. As I effortlessly passed the $70 mark something inside of me snapped. Somewhere in deep inside my gut I began to get mad. I realized my life as a truck owner was going to have to come to an end sooner than I had anticipated if I didn’t do something. So I did what every good American citizen should do. I started complaining and pointing my crooked fingers at politicians, oil industry and the rest of the world.

Yesterday I had a revelation of sorts. It came after a conversation where I (still a truck owner) was being targeted as the source and solution of the high gas problem. My first reaction to this was even more anger and more crooked fingers, but as I began personally unpacking this one I realized I was at fault. My need as a gas consumer is a big problem. As I began to search deeper I started seeing all the other resources I consume and need for my cushy North American existence.

I have no right to complain. or leverage to push my frustrations about how my cost of living is increasing. When I think about these issues globally I see how fortunate I am and how my complaining enables me to ignore the real needs of those around me.

6 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger Lukas McKnight said...

Good stuff. It makes it hard when I, too, realize I am part of the problem. But I also realize how hard it is for me to change; but if everyone shares my attitude, nothing will ever change. We'll all be mad at the gas pumps together, but it will all be our fault.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger jay baehr said...

Lukas...
I'm an extremist. The only answer I can think of is to become fully self sufficient (Amish of sorts), but there is something about self sufficiency which seems very self centered. So maybe I should start a commune which is opened to growth and change.

I guess my question is how do you participate well in the global economy.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Lukas McKnight said...

I would say it's a blessing to be able to travel so easily, and it does make the world a better place. I don't think the answer is to revert to horse and buggy; instead, I think it's being mindful of our decisions that harm the environment/others. A couple of examples I can think of right now-

1- If you have 2 cars, and you don't need one for a specific purpose, take the one that consumes less.

2- As we purchase cars in the future, look to hybrid engines as they become more readily available and affordable for the average consumer.

Simple stuff overtime makes a difference, and educating others on easy to-do steps can too.

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude--

You don't like the price of gas here, try paying five dollars a gallon in most of Western Europe. Americans have enjoyed the benefit of low gas prices compared to the world because of our propensity to invade oil rich nations every ten years or so. It isn't until gas starts to hurt at the pump that the American public is likely to think about trading in their SUV's for the kind of car the rest of the world drives. Hate to break it to you, but we will see the end of the truck era in our life-time. I know, it hurts but someone's got to be honest with you. I feel your pain.

BJB

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger jay baehr said...

Lukas...
I guess it is about small steps and training ourselves to think about our consumption choices. Like we were talking about yesterday, Christians should choose different when it comes to this issue, unfortunately for the most part we don't.

Brad...
I think you are right about the death of the Silverado (sniff). It will be interesting for those who actually do need a truck for their way of life. How will they adapt?

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger jay baehr said...

Josh...
I've already got those stickers on there. I am going to look into the Biodiesel thing, thanks.

When is the next time you are going to be on this side of the country?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home