Monday, December 04, 2006

Soon a New Arrival

In approximately 4 weeks my wife and I are going to have our first baby, a boy. Naturally the next question for most is 'What are you going to name him?' And even more naturally my response is 'I have no idea.'

This is not completely true and over the past 3 months we have been rolling names over in our heads. A name, in my opinion, is the most important label a parent can give a child. In many cases it seems to lead the child down a predestined path. Most likely the name itself is powerless, but what holds the power is the interpretation and presumptions of those speaking the name. This is what manipulates the named individual's destination. We have no control over other's opinions, so my wife and I are left to pick apart every name like a hot wing on Wednesday Night.

We have narrowed it down to 3 or 4 names, but have decided to wait until we see our boy's eyes before making the final decision. That way, in our minds, if we chose poorly we can place the blame elsewhere.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was the most stressful issue in our marriage -- picking a name. Constantly at odds, shooting down the other's idea. Whew. Glad that chapter is over.

Advice: Don't do wierd spellings. Thats sentencing the little fella to a lifetime of corrections...
Secondly, make sure you pick something that has a coresponding dot com.

If we were to ever have a boy, we were going to go with "Ransom David". That is not only one of C.S. Lewis' charaters, but it is also the name of the guy that created Oldsmobile -- "Ransom Eli Olds". Hence the name of the band REO Speedwagon. But the real meaning of course is way deeper than cars or old rock bands.

But alas, we're stopping with three girls, so that name is now available, along with the dot com ;)

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger jay baehr said...

Josh...
You never know.....you never know.

Street...
So far no stress between the 2 of us. I've checked the dot coms and so far my 2 favorites are free and clear. Unfortunately my last name already lends itself to the misspellings.....so what's a little first name confusion? No total odd spellings yet.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Lukas McKnight said...

I've thought up some new names if you're interested...

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger jay baehr said...

Alright Lukas lay em on me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home