Saturday, January 07, 2006

A Curious Combination

Last night I joined some family members, ordered pizza and wings, and tuned into 'The Book of Daniel'. To begin I was sort of disappointed for 2 reason: the first being the only commercials aired during the 2 hour slot were for films, other TV programs and Burlington Coat Factory. Second the show just didn't live up to the hype. It felt like Seventh Heaven mets Desperate Housewives (both shows just so happen to give me the 'nails on chalkboard' feeling).

Now about the controversy. I was extremely relieved by the way Jesus was portrayed. I had read so much and mulled over it so completely that every expression, word, and gesture he created I unpacked. What I saw was a Jesus who was annoyed with the main character. He didn't seem supportive one bit but sarcastic and frustrated. I felt in no way did he support the addictions, sexual orientations, or corruptness of any of the characters.

What I did observe to be controversial was the portrayal of the Episcopalian clergy. If there is anyone who should be concerned it is they. I cringed during many moment where the church leaders abused alcohol (& drugs), took wavering stands on sexual issues, consulted with criminals, committed adultery and the list will grow I am sure.

Personally I did not like the show simply because it wasn't very engaging, the characters were...for lack of better words...blah, and it didn't seem believable. At this point I won't indulge myself in another episode, but I did decide to hop on the Conservative Right's bandwagon and continue my 28 year long ban of the Burlington Coat Factory.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger Lukas McKnight said...

Everything you wear is from the Burlington Coat Factory. Don't believe him, people...

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger jay baehr said...

Lukas...
I see you have returned from vacation with a new sharpened sense of humor. You better watch yo'self before you catch a 'Burlington Coat Factory Pop' to the kisser.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home