Wednesday, February 21, 2007

My Ignored Cat

About 4 months ago our beautiful Rocky Mountain cat started having problems. It wasn't drastic at first but as time progress it became more and more uncomely. Last week we decided it was time to take her to the Vet and packing her into her crate I drove off.

The Vet is a very stressful place for an animal. First it's full of other smells and then you are brought into a room and poked, prodded and weighed. Scout (playfully named after Jean Louise in 'To Kill a Mockingbird') is not a fan, but we were prepared for the worst.

Finally, the diagnosis was in and to my great surprise our cat didn't have a fungus or skin disorder. She was in fact licking out her own fur. WHAT!??!!! I thought....Why?

As it turns out our cat, is depressed. And if she doesn't start getting better in the next week she's be prescribed Prozac (or some form of it).....I kid you not. I honestly am ashamed to admit I'm toying with the thought of a drugged pet. Wish me luck.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I bet it was because of Betsy's pregnancy...did you mention that to the vet? Barbara and Nathan Nordlund's cats both got eye infections and they said it was because her pregnant hormones were stressing them out! Good luck with the Prozac.

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay I will admit right now I am not a cat person. In fact I believe they are result of the fall. Having admitted this, U just want to say - it is a cat. A Cat. In my home this little kitty would be paranoid not depressed. I have three grown sons, in my house the cat would pychotic not depressed. it would have post traumatic stress. Tell your cat he/she has it good. Tell it to fold its little paws and thank God it is in your house. Snap out of it.

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my. What a riot - not really. I hope you can give this cat some TLC and lots of attention, and hopefully that will nudge him out of his depression. Now that you are a stay-at-home Dad, Jay, you should have lots of time to nurse the cat back to health:)

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger jay baehr said...

Sarah...We think so too...funny how babies can even influence animals.

Kent...I'm trying to snap out of it. Maybe a good way for her to see how good she has it would be to move her outside with our sled dogs. I'll look into building her a little cathouse.

Kris...I'm giving her all of the Mathis TLC overflow. Unfortunately our Great Dane is a bit neurotic too....there's only so much to go around!

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, we can't have Rosie getting depressed too. Make sure you give her plenty of TLC too.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Lukas McKnight said...

Why don't Rosie and Scout just bond? Or better yet, Flurry and Zerkel could cheer her up!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Jimmy Hoogewind said...

dude, if you put your cat on Prozac, i'm never speaking to you again - that's not a good thing, by the way!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Another approach to Prozac is, yes, another kitten. We had a similar situation. It had to be a kitten though because our adult cat wouldn't accept another adult without some serious fights (he was a Siamese). When a female kitten showed up one day, he sniffed a few times and was nonplused about the whole thing. In time, they became best friends. Of course with a kitten comes the whole claws vs. baby thing. That could be scary so it's something to consider.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

By the way:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070310/ap_on_he_me/pets_on_meds

 

Post a Comment

<< Home