Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Third Estate Wines Vol. 1

Before I attempt this first evaluation I need to lay out another disclaimer. I've realized I contain no comparative knowledge regarding wine. Hence, I apologize for the slight vagueness which you might observe. I also have decided not to use a formal rating system but four brief statements summing up my impressions. Now onto the wine...

Vineyard: Pensfolds
Title: Koonunga Hill
Variety: Chardonnay
Vintage: 2003
Residence: South East Australia
Price: $9ish

The Look:
The bottle's label is a bit creatively challenged and those of us aesthetically wired might pass it by. However, once the wine was poured its pale golden (straw) color caught the light and danced around the glass.

The Aroma:
After the first deep sniff Koonunga Hill released a light sharp vapor, but then repeating with less intensity a fruity melon and apricot aroma was detected.

The Taste:
The wine was dry and the only major flavor I experience was grapefruit. It was also crisp, medium bodied and balanced.

The Drink:
This Pensfolds Chardonnay was one dimensional. Drinking it without letting linger in the mouth produced a flavored water type of affair.

The Overall:
***The statement in bold is the rating.***

- "Let's get back to the Mar Mar and buy another bottle or 5."
- "How about we indulge since its on the Wine List."

- "Should we finish the rest of the bottle today?........Maybe tomorrow."
- "One man's trash is another's man's treasure."

Betsy's Thoughts:
'A wine perfect for those times when conversation is the focus not the wine.'

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Lukas McKnight said...

It sounds like the name is cool. Koonunga!

What kind of food would you recommend with it? I enjoy the rating system!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger jay baehr said...

Dang you Lukas....Food pairing!?! I thought I was going to be able to skirt that part. I'll think about it and try not to be predictable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home